If you are happy and you know it clap your hands!

Why is it no one seems to be clapping anymore? Life has gotten easier, right? Technology has enabled us to be productive 24/7, but it doesn’t appear to be making us any happier. Many of us have gotten so caught up in productivity, or lost in it, that we have forgotten to stop and enjoy the moment. Worse yet, we think we don’t have time, we are too busy. We want that next promotion or are simply waiting to complete the many responsibilities we have so we can enjoy a moment of peace when it is all done. It seems we are living for the “next “thing, not the “now” thing. There will always be a “next” thing and happiness will remain that dangling carrot you just can’t seem to reach without creating awareness around it. Are you going to stay in constant chase of happiness or grab it and maximize yourself?

If you are happy and you know it clap your hands!

There is now data supporting scientific research that shows to maximize your potential and be all you can be, happiness has to be a part of your success formula. For many, that seems daunting, happiness seems beyond your reach or
not in your DNA. You may be “happy” to hear that science also shows that 40% of our happiness is based on how you think and act. The other 60% is broken down with 10% being your life circumstances and 50% your DNA. “The How of Happiness” Dr. Sonja Lyubomirsky. In other words, 40% of your perception is your reality. You are in control of your happiness. If you want to find or increase your happiness you have to examine your perception.

Below you will find four suggestions to start increasing your happiness or to find it again. It is your goal to find what works best for you and stick with it. In the beginning you will need constant awareness of what you are thinking. Once you implement some of these suggestions and the habits form, you won’t need constant awareness around your thoughts or will power. Remember, just like exercise it can take several weeks to see the benefits and changes.

  • Take 5 – 10 minutes each day reflecting upon a minimum of 3 things you are thankful for. Let each thought penetrate your feelings. You will get that time back with an increase in your energy and opportunities.
  • Find something positive in the challenges you face. For example, ask and answer for yourself…. What can I learn from this situation? Where will I grow from this experience? What are my opportunities here?
  • Give yourself a judgment assessment and ask….. How many times a day do I find myself judging people or situations good or bad? What would holding judgment look like?
  • Create an awareness around what thoughts are causing you to feel bad.

You may notice you feel stressed or angry but don’t have clarity around what thoughts are causing them. Clarity around what you are feeling and the thought(s) will let the brain release some of the intensity. If possible, reframe the thought to a perspective that benefits you. You may find with clarity many of your thoughts are based on your assumptions and your inner critic, not actual fact. If that is the case, it is time to quit telling yourself stories.

Executive and Life Development coaching can also be a great support for finding or increasing your happiness. Remember, happiness is a part of your success formula. If you aren’t finding the success and happiness you feel you have the potential for, coaching with Brain Basics may be the partner you are looking for. If you would like to learn more about coaching and maximizing yourself please contact us today.